The Sands National Helpline provides a safe, confidential place for anyone who has been affected by the death of a baby. Whether your baby died long ago or recently, we are here for you.
The telephone helpline is free to call from landlines and mobiles on 0808 164 3332.
You can also email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening Times and Confidentiality
The team are available to speak to on the telephone from 10am to 3pm Monday to Friday and 6pm to 9pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Please note we are not open during bank holidays unless stated on the website.
We offer support on the telephone for up to one hour. This can be for a one-off call or a number of calls over time.
We aim to respond to all emails within 48 hours, except over the weekend when the helpline is closed. The team also respond to emails from outside the UK.
Calls and emails are confidential. We will not share information outside of Sands, except if there is an immediate risk of harm to you or someone else.
Who do we support on the helpline?
- Bereaved parents
- Bereaved grandparents
- Other family members
- Friends and colleagues
- Healthcare professionals
- Other professionals supporting bereaved families
Who will be responding to your call or email?
We have a small team of dedicated and experienced helpline staff to offer confidential, non-judgemental and compassionate support. We understand that sometimes it can be difficult to talk about feelings and grief but we hope to give you space and time to find your words.
What you can expect when you contact the helpline
The Sands National Helpline offers support across the UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) and offers support in the following ways:
- Bereavement support (coping with grief, anger, hopelessness, guilt, anxiety, facing the future)
- Practical information relating to decisions required after the death of a baby
- Information on local Sands group support available and our Online Community
- Coping with another pregnancy after the death of a baby
- Advice on supporting a bereaved parent
- Signposting to other organisations where appropriate
We would welcome your feedback on the Sands Helpline and would be grateful if you could complete this short survey
Key stats from 2018-19