Our vision for the future
Sands’ vision is for a world where fewer babies die and when a baby dies anyone affected by the death receives the best care and support for as long as they need. Parents and families who have experienced baby death remain at the core of everything we do.
We work to reduce the number of babies dying and to improve care and support for anyone affected by the death of a baby.
Sands’ purpose is
- to support anyone affected by the death of a baby
- work in partnership with healthcare professionals to ensure that bereaved parents and families receive the best possible care
- to promote improvements in practice and fund research to help reduce the number of babies dying
Everything we do – the services we run, the public health messages we promote, the way we raise money – is focused around these three aims.
We are compassionate, collaborative and evidence based.
Our commitments for 2020
- To reduce the number of babies dying by at least 20%
- To have a bereavement lead in every trust or health board and at least one bereavement suite in every hospital
- To implement a National Bereavement Care Pathway to make sure that every parent receives equally excellent bereavement care
- To ensure a high-quality review of care is carried out, in partnership with parents, after every baby’s death
- To raise awareness of the issues surrounding stillbirth and neonatal death and to reduce the taboo associated with these deaths
- To ensure every bereaved parent receives a free memory box