Sands offers RCM accredited, evidence based and skills focused bereavement care training for Midwives. The parent experience runs throughout each workshop, with a guest parent speaker, film, audio and parent quotes.
‘Useful working in groups & actually thinking about how to communicate with bereaved parents & how you could put that into action within your own practice. This has been very useful to my practice. It feels that I have actually achieved/learned a lot in one day.’ Midwife, North Devon
Offering high-quality individualised bereavement care for parents when a baby dies can be difficult. It is vital to empower midwives with the skills, understanding and insight to enable them to feel confident and competent in delivering good bereavement care. Training can also help to reduce staff stress and is essential to ensure staff well-being and avoid burn out. That is why Sands offers RCM accredited, evidence based and skills focused Bereavement care training tailored specifically for midwives.
‘Bereavement care is often the area that midwives feel less confident in. Luckily most staff don't encounter it on a regular basis and there is a great fear that they will do and say the wrong thing. This course would be very beneficial to staff working in all areas of maternity to give them the confidence to work with these families. It contains relevant up-to-date information and also allows time for discussion and personal experience. Sands provides a safe, supportive environment to allow all these areas to be explored.’ Jane Laking, Bereavement Support Midwife, Whittington Hospital, London
AIM OF THE ONE-DAY WORKSHOPS
To enable midwives to develop the knowledge, insight and skills to provide high quality, sensitive care to parents who experience the death of a baby, before, during or shortly after birth.
At the end of this session participants will be able to:
- Identify the unique impact of grief in relation to pregnancy loss and the death of a baby for parents and their families.
- Identify, develop and use techniques to deliver bad news and communicate sensitively and effectively with bereaved parents.
- Enable bereaved parents to make informed choices about the memories they create with their baby and what happens to their baby’s body.
- Recognise the impact of pregnancy loss and the death of a baby on health professionals and be able to access available support.
- Recognise the importance of on-going support for bereaved parents and the potential impact of their loss on all subsequent pregnancies.
Maximum Capacity 20 participants
Timing 0930 – 1630 (6 Contact hours)
- View a day plan for Pregnancy loss and the death of a baby: Sands training for midwives.
‘I really think this training should be available for all midwives and doctors who deal with parents in this situation.’ Midwife, Chester
£840*. Only £42 per person (based on 20 participants)
- A reflective workbook for each participant which includes information on bereavement care for the individual professional as well as practical information for the maternity unit.
- A set of our publications (both for professionals and for parents and their families) that will be displayed in the workshop and then be given to the hospital or university.
- Trainers’ fee, expenses and all administrative costs.
*Please contact us to discuss if cost is prohibitive as we may be able to find a solution to meet your needs.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PROVIDE
A large room (not a lecture theatre) with PowerPoint facilities and capacity for a big semi-circle of 20 easily-movable chairs; a projector, screen, flipchart with paper/pens and refreshments.
HOW TO BOOK
To book or for more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
WE ALSO DELIVER HALF-DAY WORKSHOP FOR midwives
- Half-day Course Version 1: For up to 20 participants and under
- Half-day Course Version 2: For up to 50 participants and under
Our Bereavement Care half-day courses have been awarded professional accreditation from the Royal College of Midwives. They are based on current research, best practice and guidance, and use the voices and experiences of bereaved parents and their families throughout. They aim to enable Midwives to gain the essential knowledge and insight to provide sensitive care to parents who experience the death of a baby.
‘I found this extremely helpful, I am very happy that I attended and will use the skills touched upon in the future’ Midwife, Romford
‘Fantastic course, many valuable points to take forward to practice. Many thanks, Midwife, Leighton
TIMINGS AND SESSION PLANS FOR HALF-DAY WORKSHOPS
- Morning session plan for Pregnancy loss and the death of a baby: Half-Day Sands training for professionals.
- Afternoon session plan for Pregnancy loss and the death of a baby: Half-Day Sands training for professionals.
Each half-day is 3 ½ hours long (3 ½ contact hours) and costs £600.
Please contact us to discuss if cost is prohibitive as we may be able to find a solution to meet your needs.
If you are a Doula, find out more about Sands training for Doulas.