Organise your own Mistletoe Memory Walk
Walk to remember this December and, with every step you take you will help Sands continue to meet the needs of our bereavement support services, improve bereavement care throughout the UK, and fund and promote research that could help save babies’ lives. It doesn't matter what distance or where you walk; you'll be helping to ensure we can support anyone that needs it this winter.
Whether you walk with friends and family, work colleagues, your local Sands group or on your own, you’ll be joining our community and walking as one. It's just about being together and fundraising to help give the gift of support this Christmas.
Together we will make a difference.
Click here and sign up today
Sign Up today!
Receive your FREE Sands hot chocolate mug
If you're one of the first 100 fundraisers to sign up, you'll receive your Sands hot chocolate re-usable mug. So click here and sign up today!
Whether it’s a hot chocolate, Gingerbread latte or mulled wine going in there; we hope this winter warmer will make your Mistletoe
Memory Walk as part of #TeamSands even more special.
You’ll also receive:
- Sands digital fundraising pack
- Access to fundraising materials to help raise money during your event such as banners and posters
- Specially designed online fundraising page which the whole family can get involved with
- Mistletoe Memory Walk medal
- Dedicated support from the Sands Fundraising Team
Sign up now by clicking here and organise your very own Mistletoe Memory Walk for this December.
Your Mistletoe Memory Walk medal
Once you’ve completed your Mistletoe Memory Walk, let us know. We would love to hear how you got on, so we can congratulate you with your Mistletoe Memory Walk medal which you can keep as a reminder. So we can send it to you, you must:
1. Let us know where you walked. You could record your route on your phone using an app like map my run or strava. Or send us your step count for that day and a google maps picture of your route.
2. Raise £50 or more for Sands - every registered person who finishes their walk and raise £50 for Sands will receive their Mistletoe Medal.
If you have any questions just have a look at our FAQ's or get in touch with events team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Who are you going to walk with?
You can sign up as an individual, a small group or larger group.
- Sign up now and if you're one of the first 100 walkers to sign up you'll receive your FREE Sands hot chocolate mug.
Small groups - and it's just you who is fundraising
- If there are 5 or less of you walking (maybe you're walking with family or a group of friends), but only you are fundraising by setting up your own fundraising page. Only you need to sign up. But you can buy additional Sands hot chocolate mugs for everyone if you like.
Small groups - and you're all fundraising
- If you're all fundraising at least £50 each then each of you can sign up. If you're part of the first 100 you will each receive a Sands hot chocolate mug, receive fundraising support and we will ensure everyone receives a medal once you've submitted your walk photo.
Large groups (six or more)
- We would love to hear from you! Perhaps your school could organise a Mistletoe Memory Walk or your local group wants to arrange a walk which you all take part in. If there are 6 or more of you wanting to get involved contact the fundraising team directly for tailored support. Just email us and we can chat through how we can support you call.
Plan your walk
Ideally you should find a route that…
- Is accessible – think about disabled and pram access
- Has parking and toilet facilities
- Has space for refreshments
- Is well lit if you’re walking late in the afternoon or evening
You may also want to confirm whether dogs are allowed to accompany walkers.
There are lots of websites available to help you plan and map your route
Take a look at the websites to find a route near you - walkingworld.com, walking-routes.co.uk and walkingbritain.co.uk. You can also speak to your local council’s Parks Office or the Forestry Commission for other possible routes.
If you’re walking in a public area, you may require permission from the council. If your walk is taking place on private land, you may require permission from the land owner. Before going ahead with your Mistletoe Memory Walk we advise that you contact the land owner of the
planned route (from start to finish), to confirm access permissions and any licenses that you may need:
- Use the Risk Assessment Checklist at hse.gov.uk to ensure your route is as safe as it can be.
- You can also find plenty of useful ideas and advice on our website: sands.org.uk/get-involved/fundraising
How you can start fundraising
How much do you need to raise?
As a Mistletoe Walker we're asking you to raise at least £50.
£50 could pay for two Sands Memory Boxes - helping parents to create memories and collect keepsakes in a very special way.
“Having a memory box for our little girl meant that in the hardest time ever, someone was there helping us. And they are always they for you.There were guidance booklets, that helped us realise although everyone’s story is unique and we grieve in different ways, we were not alone” Bereaved Mum, Facebook
Fundraising online is easy
Set up a special Mistletoe Memory Walk online fundraising page and get the whole family involved. Create an online winter wonderland where your family and friends can pick a snowflake or see if you can find the hiding gingerbread man to sponsor, and leave a message of support for you.
Once you’ve signed up you will receive a link asking you to create your Mistletoe Memory Walk fundraising page . If you prefer you can use JustGiving as an alternative.
Fundraising offline is just as fun!
We can send you sponsorship forms, balloons and collection tins to make any fundraising event you hold in the festive period stand out. All you need to do is sign up today for your Mistletoe Memory Walk and request the fundraising materials you need for your offline fundraising.
What about organising a bake sale at work in aid of your walk? Or making hot chocolates for the office in exchange for a donation to Sands?
There are more ways to fundraise on our A-Z fundraising ideas.
Raise £200 or more and you'll receive a Sands Woolly Hat
Did you know £200 could pay for 8 memory boxes? If you raise £200 or more through your Mistletoe Memory Walk we'll send you your Sands Woolly Hat as a thank you.
Thank you so much for wanting to organise your Mistletoe Memory Walk. By organising your own Mistletoe Memory Walk you can walk to remember and help raise funds for Sands this December.
We want to support your with walk and your fundraising so please do sign up via this link today. If you're one of the first 100 to sign up we will also send you your free Sands mug which you can keep and take on your winter walks.
Thank you so much for wanting to support us this year and if you have any questions about your fundraising or organising your walk you can email email@example.com.