Job Title: Helpline Worker (Maternity Cover)
Responsible to: Bereavement Support Services Manager
Contract: Fixed-Term Maternity Cover (7 months duration)
Salary: £25,500 per annum pro rata plus £216 per annum pro rata Home Worker Allowance
Hours: 12 Hours per Week
Every single day in the UK, in spite of medical advances, 15 babies are stillborn or die within the first 28 days of life.
Sands, the stillbirth and neonatal death charity, is a well-established and widely respected national charity that:
- Supports anyone affected by the death of a baby through our Helpline and our 100 Groups nationwide across the 4 devolved nations.
- Works in partnership with health professionals to ensure that bereaved parents and families receive the best possible care by transforming the culture and practice of perinatal bereavement care through our accredited training programmes and resources.
- Promotes changes in care that could help to reduce the loss of babies’ lives by funding high impact research projects that identify the causes of stillbirth and point to ways of reducing their incidence.
The charity has grown its income by over 40% since 2012 and, as part of its strategic plan to 2020, is focusing on long term growth, sustainability and success! This is an especially exciting time at the charity as it repositions to become the leading charity in sector.
About the role
Sands offers support to anyone affected by the death of a baby. The Sands Helpline is looking to recruit a highly skilled and emotionally intelligent individual to join its busy team.
You must be able to offer consistent, high-quality emotional support to bereaved parents and others who call/email the Sands helpline. With personal experience of the death of a baby, you will be able to demonstrate a commitment to the overall aims and objectives of Sands.
You will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, be empathetic and able to offer non-judgemental support. The ability to reflect on your own practice and be able to receive feedback is also essential.
The helpline is open during the following hours:
- Monday to Friday: 9.30am-5.30pm
- Tuesday and Thursday evenings: 6pm-10pm.
We are looking for someone who can provide cover for the two evening shifts – Tuesday and Thursday 6-10pm and one other day time shift (flexible) per week.
How to apply
To Apply please return a completed application form and monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date.
Closing date: Sunday 4th February - midnight
Interview date: Thursday 15th February
As we have limited staff resources we are unable to provide candidates with feedback about their applications. If you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date, then please assume that you have not been shortlisted.