Job Title: Chair of Trustees
Location: Occasional travel to Victoria Charity Centre, 11 Belgrave Road, London, SW1V 1RB
Salary: The role of Chair is not accompanied by any financial remuneration, although expenses for travel may be claimed
Hours: 1-2 days per month
Every single day in the UK, in spite of medical advances, 15 babies are stillborn or die within the first 28 days of life.
Sands, the stillbirth and neonatal death charity, is a well-established and widely respected national charity that:
- Supports anyone affected by the death of a baby through our Helpline and our 100 Groups nationwide across the 4 devolved nations.
- Works in partnership with health professionals to ensure that bereaved parents and families receive the best possible care by transforming the culture and practice of perinatal bereavement care through our accredited training programmes and resources.
- Promotes changes in care that could help to reduce the loss of babies’ lives by funding high impact research projects that identify the causes of stillbirth and point to ways of reducing their incidence.
The charity has grown its income by over 40% since 2012 and, as part of its strategic plan to 2020, is focusing on how we can make the biggest difference to improving the care and support available to bereaved parents and families, and building on our success in raising awareness of the issues relating to stillbirth and neonatal death. This is an especially exciting time at Sands as we reposition to become the leading charity in the sector.
About the role
Sands are seeking to appoint a Chair to lead the Board of Trustees and ensure that it fulfils its responsibilities for the governance and strategic direction of Sands. The role will also involve:
- Working in partnership with the Chief Executive as the lead executive, helping them to realise the mission of the organisation
- Optimising the relationship between the Board of Trustees and staff
- Facilitating the Board of Trustees in stimulating excellent, well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making
- Being a strong spokesperson for the charity both internally and externally
Sands are looking for strategic, resilient and intellectually rigorous individual with a collaborative and adaptable leadership style. They will demonstrate understanding of and commitment to Sands and its strategic objectives.
Other essential skills, knowledge and experience include:
- A track record of effective senior leadership
- Senior executive and non-executive experience in a commercial, or public setting, ideally including experience of effective chairing - facilitating debate and ensuring collective decision-making
- The ability to listen and engage effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to effectively represent Sands as a spokesperson and ambassador
- The ability to understand perspectives of others, to act collaboratively and diplomatically, and to secure collective decision-making
- Understanding or experience of leading or managing change in a complex organisation
- The ability to understand complex strategic issues, analyse and resolve difficult problems
- High standards of personal integrity and probity with sound, independent judgement
- A commitment to equality and diversity
- Sound knowledge of charity governance with a clear understanding of the legal duties, liabilities and responsibilities of trustees
How to apply
Please submit a comprehensive CV, including details of your achievements in each role and details of two referees.
A supporting statement, explaining how you believe your skills and experience match the requirements of the role, directly addressing the criteria as outlined in the person
specification which is part of the application information (link below).
Closing date for applications: 20 July 2018 (midnight)
Preliminary interviews: 24 and 25 July 2018
Final interviews: Week commencing 3 September 2018
Applications should be submitted at the following website page: Application link
For an informal and confidential discussion about the role, please contact:
Melissa Baxter - Director of Executive Search: 07789 985229 firstname.lastname@example.org
Marsha Gosling - Executive Search Consultant: 07818 509690 email@example.com